Chilli oil is probably one of the easiest oils to infuse. All you need is some good quality olive oil and some dried chilli flakes and you are good to go! You can add some whole dried chillies too if you’re feeling particularly adventurous. Seriously, there’s no excuse not to make this one.
Other plus points are that it’s super quick to do and can make the perfect homemade gift if you’re in a giving mood. If you’re a bit sad like me, it’s also really satisfying to see the olive oil turn a deep orangey red as it infuses. It’s like being transported back to the lab in chemistry, experimenting with cutting-edge food science. Even though you’re in fact just mixing dried chillies with olive oil. Shhhh.
Chilli infused oil is great for dressing salads, cooking up stir-frys and drizzled on top of pizzas. Have I given you enough reasons to make this one yet?
- 250ml good quality olive oil
- 15g dried chilli flakes
- 2-3 whole dried chillies (optional)
- Gently warm the olive oil in a pan, but do not boil. Once warmed through, add the chilli flakes and whole chillies, and heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, use a funnel to pour into a sterilised, dry, sealable glass bottle. It is important that the bottle is completely dry before adding the oil, any moisture will spoil it, meaning it won’t last as long. Add the chilli flakes and dried chillies into the bottle as well. Seal the bottle well.
- Keep the oil in a cool dark place, shaking it every so often. Use within one month. As time goes on the oil will become redder in colour and hotter in taste. Makes up one 250ml glass bottle.