They went down so well, that I decided to follow them up with these Frozen Banana Pops – the grown-up version!
So how many of you have actually tried frozen banana?
Because if you haven’t, you really should. No, really.
Somehow, just freezing a banana turns it into the most amazing, creamy banana ice-cream. It’ll taste like the best banana ice-cream you ever had, and it’s not even technically ice-cream. Plus, all you’ve had to do is peel a banana and shove it in the freezer. What’s there to lose? There’s no excuse! Now go out and buy some bloody bananas. You’ll thank me later.
These Frozen Banana Pops take seconds to prepare. Just peel, cut and freeze. You can prepare them well in advance too, by leaving them in the freezer overnight. You will need some wooden lolly sticks, or if you can’t get hold of them, double up a couple of wooden skewers.
They make a great healthy treat, but they are also the perfect easy dessert to make in good company. You can make it into a really fun social activity, by inviting your guests to customise their own frozen bananas! They can dip them in the melted chocolate fondant and dunk them in their favourite toppings!
I’ve used a mixture of desiccated coconut, nuts, seeds + goji berries. But really the sky’s the limit when it comes to decoration – use whatever takes your fancy! You can stick to one topping, or try many – it’s totally up to you.
I hope you enjoy these Frozen Banana Pops! Let me know what you think of them in the comments below, or show me your creations using #heartandbowl
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and halved across
- 75g bittersweet dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- small pinch of sea salt
- desiccated coconut, nuts, seeds, to serve
- Stick wooden skewers or lolly sticks into the bottom of the bananas where you cut across. I doubled up on wooden skewers, to make a sturdier stick.
- Put them in the freezer on some grease-proof baking paper, for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Melt the dark chocolate, honey + coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Once completely melted and combined, remove from heat.
- Grab your banana pops from the freezer. Tilt the bowl of chocolate to the side, and dip the bananas in. You will have to be very quick to decorate them, as the chocolate freezes quickly, so throw some desiccated coconut, nuts, seeds - whatever you like - on top, and put them aside to set.
- You can always dunk the bananas in the melted chocolate again if you're too slow the first time!