Greetings from the breakfast table! Excuse me while I finish my mouthful of granola. Ahem. This Chocolate Orange Granola is like a dessert and breakfast all in one, but I don’t feel the least bit guilty. Sorry not sorry.
My granola obsession started just over a month ago, after purchasing Izy Hossack’s debut cookbook: Top with Cinnamon. I’ve been following Izy’s blog Top with Cinnamon for many months now, and instantly became a huge fan of her blog and the recipes. Her cookbook has a big variety of mouthwatering MUST COOK NOW dishes, all beautifully styled and photographed. I encourage anyone with a sweet-tooth to pick up a copy!
Always an admirer of Izy’s breakfast dishes, the first recipe I wanted to recreated from the cookbook, was her 10 Minute Almond Granola. After that – life was never quite the same again. I had to have granola for breakfast every day after that. Then again for brunch. Then maybe again for dessert. Shhhh, don’t judge me.
But seriously, if I’d have known how good homemade granola was (compared to the supermarket varieties) – it would not have taken me 24 years to get to this point. Now I’m eating it by the bucketful, making up for a lifetime deprived of good granola.
So for a few weeks now I’ve been brainstorming ideas for different flavours that I could make for Heart + Bowl. Then I got distracted by a Terry’s Chocolate Orange bar, and it all seemed far too obvious. Lightbulb moment! Chocolate Orange Granola. Scrap that – Spiced Chocolate Orange Granola. Even better.
After a couple of trials, I’m pleased to be able to bring you this recipe. Hopefully it’s something that will encourage you out of bed in the morning! With those dark wintery mornings just around the corner – we’ll be needing that extra bit of encouragement! The alllll newww granola wake-up alarm.
- 200g gluten free oats
- 35g almonds, roughly chopped
- 25g roasted flaked almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- 200ml smooth orange juice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g 70% dark chocolate, roughly cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 170°c. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the oats, almonds, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly pour in the orange juice a bit at a time until well combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together the honey/maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Once well combined, slowly drizzle oil mixture over the oat mixture and stir well to coat.
- Spread the oat mixture onto the lined baking tray in an even layer. The mixture will be fairly doughy, but do not worry, it will crisp in the oven. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes to evenly brown the granola.
- Remove from the oven and stir a final time to break up any larger pieces. Allow to cool completely before adding the dark chocolate chunks and transferring to an airtight container.
Serve with milk of your choice or a dollop of yogurt for a quick and easy breakfast.
The granola will keep fresh for up to 2 weeks.